I'm going to pass around two recipes this time. Actually, one is a recipe for an ingredient that you can use in other recipes. The other is a sauce recipe that probably isn't very good on its own. So I guess you could think of this as one complete recipe that comes in two different parts.
I borrowed the base of the Sweet and Sour Sauce recipe from a few different recipes that I found online. I then added the sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and honey to make it my own. This is a super quick sauce recipe that you can make in ten minutes or so and refrigerate for a few days if you don't have time to make the chicken (or pork) to go with it.
The Fried Chicken Pieces recipe can be used in any other recipe that calls for fried chicken (or pork) pieces. You can adjust the spices as you see fit to complement the dish you are preparing.
Another (third) recipe could have been added, but I figured that a rice recipe would only serve as unnecessary filler - so feel free to use your favorite rice recipe for this dish!
This is great reheated for work lunches, but is best fresh out of the wok! Enjoy!
Fried Chicken (or Pork) Pieces
Use your own judgment for the amount of each spice you add – there's really no science to it. Also feel free to experiment with the spices, adding different flavors that complement the dish you are making.
- Chicken (or pork), cubed
- Baking soda
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, black pepper and red pepper flakes
- Dredge the meat pieces through the flour mixture once, covering well
- Remove all meat pieces from the flour mixture and set aside
- Add enough water to the flour mixture to create a somewhat thin batter
- Heat a wok to medium-high
- Add a generous amount of corn oil to the wok and allow the oil to heat up
- Dredge the floured meat pieces through the batter, shaking off the excess
- Add the meat pieces to the wok in small batches – you don't want the meat to be too crowded
- Transfer the meat pieces to a paper towel covered plate when they rise to the top of the oil and are a golden brown color
- Add wherever fried chicken or pork pieces are needed
Sweet & Sour Sauce
Note: Try adding lemon or orange zest for more citrus flavor
- Sesame seeds
- Red pepper flakes
- White vinegar/rice vinegar
- Cornstarch, mixed in some water
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan on medium-high heat until lightly browned
- Add red pepper flakes and vinegar when seeds are toasted, temporarily removing the pan from heat until the steam subsides
- Add a couple squeezes of ketchup and honey, mixing well
- Taste test the sauce and adjust the vinegar, ketchup and honey levels as desired
- When the desired taste has been achieved, add some of the cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce
- Serve with fried chicken (or pork) pieces over rice
Rice + Fried Chicken (or Pork) Pieces + Sweet & Sour Sauce = MMM-azing! This is an easy dish that you can make year-round since none of the ingredients are seasonal (unless you use in-season citrus).
Post a Comment